Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Cold Turkey Report- Week Two

It has been two weeks since I kicked the artificial sweeteners and sodas habit and I have to say I really feel a difference. Frankly, I am amazed by how good I feel. I used to have a headache every single day and a migraine at least once a month and in the past two weeks I haven't had so much as a tinge of pain. Also, recently the pollen count has been insane and normally this would cause me incredible misery but other than having to blow my nose first thing in the morning I have been fine. Even my PMS (sorry guys but we are all adults here) symptoms have really decreased, much to my family's delight.

One thing I didn't expect was the reduction in my appetite. I would normally have a Diet Coke with my lunch and then would spend the rest of the afternoon trying not to pour the contents of my pantry directly down my throat. I haven't changed what I am eating for lunch but now my afternoons are binge free so I can only think it was the artificial sweeteners. I also have found that certain food just aren't as tasty if you can't wash them down with a cold soda. One of my favorite snacks is a potato chips, dip and a Diet Coke. Give me that combo and I'll eat until I am sick but yesterday I had a reasonable portion of chips and dip and then stopped because it just didn't taste as good. I've seen a loss on the scale so this whole experiment has really been an eye-opener.

There have been a few times when I really wanted a Diet Coke, but that was more in my mind than a physical craving. I was worried that I would get the nausea and other symptoms of artificial sweetener withdrawal but I am pleased to report that I haven't had any of those issues. When C tried to kick the habit he was miserable and sick but he drinks way more Diet Coke than I do. I would love it if he would follow my lead and stop drinking that stuff, for financial and health reasons but he'll have to do that in his own time. I know I am only two weeks in but I think it is safe to say that I have kicked the soda monkey off my back.

No comments:

Post a Comment